Going into this weekend, the US national team hopefuls are coming fresh out of their college (or high school) seasons, for those who currently play. But their nerves will still be high and each player will be digging deep to push themselves like never before in hopes of representing their country on an international stage. The sample of inspirational quotations below, attributed to phenoms in other sports to U.S. coach Ricky Fried himself, showcases these players’ characters and shapes who they are as individuals.
- “Never lose the hunger.” – Northwestern coach Kelly Amonte Hiller to North Carolina midfielder Maggie Bill during a recruiting visit her freshman year of high school.
- “I don’t care if the ball is 40 feet above your head. Figure out a way to catch it. There are no excuses.” – Boston University coach Liz Robertshaw to attacker Jillian Horka.
- “The only person who can stop you is yourself.” – Boston College coach Acacia Walker to midfielder Caroline Margolis.
- “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” – NBA great Michael Jordan, inspiring Maryland midfielder Kelly McPartland.
- “Mistakes are part of the game. It’s how you react to mistakes that make the difference.” – Coach Ricky Fried to Rutgers assistant Katie Hertsch.