The Empower Team is hard at work on our July Camp (July 14-16, with a rain date of July 17) and the Bitter Tournament in Stowe, VT (July 18, 19). We are assessing our strengths and weaknesses as a club and are making some curriculum changes to step up the level of play and re-focus our efforts on the “whole player/child,” a tenant that is at the core of our philosophy.
July 14-16 Camp Highlights
- SCHEDULE AND LOCATION: This camp will be held at Huntley Meadows in Norwich, VT. Tuesday, July 14, and Wednesday, July 15, are 9 am – 1 pm. Thursday, July 16, is 9am to 1:30pm (to make time for our speaker that day). We are working with Norwich Recreation to secure the fields for a July 17 rain date.
- LEADERSHIP: Brook Raney, Dean at KUA and Director of the Girls Leadership Camp, will deliver her talk entitled “³The Œship²: From sportsmanship, to leadership, to friendship and hopefully a championship, this interactive talk will bring to light the sometimes forgotten transferable life skills we learn playing sports, and will tackle what it really means to be a female athlete.”
- LEADERSHIP AND CHARACTER: This is still in the planning phase, but we are working on getting Cindy Pierce, local comedian and educator, to deliver a short talk on balancing technology and relationships (in the context of a team sport and otherwise), staying grounded, valuing live time, and following one’s inner compass.
- NUTRITION: Dr. Nancy Turkington will briefly present on a few key facts that directly relate to the health and productivity of athletes.
- VISUALIZATION: We will teach the players the incredible value of visualization in sports and practice basic visualization skills.
- PREPARATION FOR THE BITTER TOURNAMENT: This camp will more consciously focus on Bitter Tournament (July 18, 19) preparation. We will have enough coaches, however, to work with all campers, those too young or too old to play at the tournament. This tweak will enrich the learning and pick up the pace for all campers. If you are planning on signing up for the Bitter Tournament only, please consider doing this camp as well. It will help us create a much stronger, cohesive Empower Team which in the end is more fun for all involved.
- REGISTRATION: It helps us a great deal to know our numbers, so we can better staff and plan the camp. Please register by Thursday, July 9. Knowing your e-mail address is critical to communication; please write it very clearly on the registration form. Register Here!
- COACHES: We’ll have a similar line-up to our June camp (Sarah Martin, Marianne Bocock Doyle, Moe Garmon, and Lily Ford, a current UNH player). We are pleased to welcome Molly Seibel, a Hanover High School stand-out and Revolution Club player, and several current Dartmouth players who will attend as their classes allow.
The Bitter Tournament (Saturday and Sunday, July 18-19)
- REGISTRATION: Please register by Thursday, July 9, as we have to turn in our rosters to the organizers and know our numbers for team formation. Register Here!!
- OVERVIEW SCHEDULE: More details later, but we will meet at the fields in Stowe, VT, bright an early, 45 minutes before our first game, on Saturday, July 18. After playing on Saturday, we’ll find the swimming hole that was a highlight of the 2014 experience, enjoy Reese’s famous pasta/sauce creation for dinner at Mt. Mansfield Winter Academy where we will stay for the night (we’ll need some helpers), and play again on Sunday. Sign-up for diner and lodging are on the registration form above.
- TEAMS: The numbers for our U13, rising 7th and 8th grade team, look excellent, including Maggie, our beloved goalie. Its time to build our U11, rising 5th and 6th grade, team and need your help. The best way to increase numbers is to get the girls registered to pull in a few friends. Forwarding this post to five friends is a good place to start. Rising 9th and 10th graders, you will have the option to play as free agents in the high school division. Please contact Reese if interested in grabbing a few lacrosse friends and giving this a try.
- COACHES: Unfortunately, Sarah will be at a family wedding, but Marianne, who has coached at the college, high school and rec levels, will be our Head Coach. Lily Ford and Moe Garmon will coach as well. Depending on the number of teams we send, Molly Seibel or other college players may join the staff as well.
Again, please register for our July 14-16 camp and/or the Bitter Tournament by Thursday, July 9. Sign-up and encourage some lacrosse-playing friends to do the same!